225g spreadable butter
225g castor sugar
4 medium eggs
300g self-raising cake flour
1 tsp 5ml baking powder
Grated rind and juice of 1 large lemon
For the icing:
100g softened butter
200g icing sugar
Rind and juice of 1 half to 1 full lemon
Jelly lemon slices to decorate
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan assisted, 350°F, gas mark 4). Grease and flour a 20cm x 28cm tray bake tin.
- Simply put all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat well together.
- Turn the mix into the baking tray and bake for 35-40 minutes until risen and springy to the fingers. Let the cake cool in the tray.
- To make the icing: Put the butter and sieved icing sugar into a mixing bowl and beat well together.
- Add the lemon rind and a teaspoon of juice, adding more according to taste and until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Spread the cooled cake with the icing, mark into 16 slices and decorate each one with a jelly ‘lemon slice’.