Ingredients (makes 28-30 cupcakes)
1 Jane Asher Rainbow Cake mix, butter, eggs and milk as on the packet, including the butter for the icing.
1 heaped tbsp. good strawberry jam
1 medium orange
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4. This will make about 28-30 cupcakes. So fill a muffin tin with 12 paper cases and have another 12+ ready to bake in batches.
- Make up the red mix from the packet as given on the instructions BUT add the heaped tablespoon of strawberry jam
- Make up the orange mix from the packet as given on the instructions BUT add the finely grated rind of the orange, but leave a sliver of skin intact. Slice the end off with the peel intact to use as decoration. Juice the orange and add about a 15-20ml (a generous tablespoonful) to the mix
- Make up the yellow mix from the packet as given on the instructions BUT add the finely grated rind of the lemon, leaving a small slice for decoration as with the orange. Add the juice as with the orange but using a bit less - about 2 tsps - as too much of the acidic lemon makes the mixture split
- Make up the green colour mix and repeat with the lime as for the lemon
- Spoon the mix into the cupcake paper cases, filling them about halfway up, and bake in batches for 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool completely
- Meanwhile, make up the icing mix according to the directions on the packet. Cut the rinds and strawberries into about 6-8 pieces to make enough to top each cupcakes. Pipe or spoon the icing onto the tops of the cupcakes and decorate with the sprinkles and the pieces of fruit.