Egg whites from 2 medium eggs
100g castor sugar
1 tsp white wine vinegar
- Cut a piece from the baking paper to fit a large baking tray.
- Pre-heat the oven to 125°C (110°C fan assisted, 230°F. Whip the egg whites until very stiff
- Add the sugar and vinegar and whisk again, until it’s almost as stiff as before
- Put generous dessert spoonfuls onto the lined baking tray (or pipe through a large nozzle)
- Bake for about 3 hours, depending on how chewy you like them (if you want them really white, you can bake them at an even lower temperature, but I prefer them with just a hint of ‘off white’ colour and slightly chewy centres).
- Remove from the oven, lift them off the liner, and cool on a rack
- Sandwich together in pairs with whipped cream or serve with strawberries or raspberries