125g glace cherries
200g self-raising flour
125g spreadable butter
125g castor sugar
4 medium eggs, lightly beaten
a little milk
icing sugar for dusting
- Pre-heat the oven to 175°C, (160°C fan assisted, 350°F). Grease and line a deep, 16cm cake tin.
- Wash all the sticky glaze off the cherries with hot water, then dry well and cut each in half.
- Put the flour in a bowl and add the cherries to it, mixing them gently until they are well coated.
- Cream the butter with the sugar until very pale and fluffy, then beat in the eggs, a little at a time, beating well all the time.
- Add the flour and cherries, with a little milk if necessary to the butter mixture, and stir gently.
- Spoon the mix into the cake tin, levelling the top and making a dip in the middle.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for half an hour, then turn the oven down to 160C (140°F fan assisted, 325F) for a further three quarters of an hour, until the cake is risen, golden and springy, or a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes, then turn out and transfer to a rack to cool completely. Dust the top with a little icing sugar.